The Banshees of Inisherin

Despair. Connections. Niceness. Loss. Sufferance. This is what Martin McDonagh's new film is all about.  


The Banshees of Inisherin (2022) is a wonderful depiction of  h u m a n n e s s. It comprises all the fears and needs one might have as well as all the self-imposed constraints. 

To live, to genuinely live, means to dare break out of the cage. And to dare trust the others. At least this is the takeaway from Martin McDonagh's film, whose fan I've apparently been without knowing so.

I love the idea of the movie, the actors, the scenery, the brown ale and the music. But most of all I love the script & the realisation that Martin McDonagh is responsible for another movie that I adored, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017).

For those of you that watched The Banshees of Inisherin, I hope you'll take pleasure in reading the following lines, part of my favourite scene in the movie. 

  • Pádraic Súilleabháin [bursting into Colm's house]  How are ya, fatty? Dancing with your dog, is it? Well who else is gonna dance with ya? Your poor dog has no say in the matter. And if you're too rude to be offering me a seat, I'll be taking one of me own accord!

    Pádraic Súilleabháin [sits]  How's that for an old hello?

    Colm Doherty Have you gone fecking mental?

    Pádraic Súilleabháin Have I gone fecking mental? No I haven't gone fecking mental. Not only have I not gone fecking mental, but I have got ten fingers to prove I'm not fecking mental. How many fingers have you got to prove you're not fecking mental?

    Colm Doherty Nine fingers.

    Pádraic Súilleabháin Nine fingers is the epitome of mental.

Comentarii

Postări populare